A pH meter is a must-have tool for any home brewer who wants to ensure their cider, wine or beer is of the highest quality and to avoid spoilage.
Knowing the pH is important from the moment you harvest the fruit (or make your mash!) for your brew to the moment you bottle.
One of the most critical reasons why pH is so important to know for cider and wine brewers is so that they can judge how much campden to add to kill off wild microorganisms.
For beer brewers, the pH will tell you about the water quality and the pH of the mash will critically influence the activity of the amylase enzymes that release the sugars for your yeast to digest.
In addition, measuring the pH throughout the brewing process can teach you a lot about the state of fermentation, catch potential contaminants in time and what final blending options may be ideal to balance acidity.
Choosing the right pH meter for brewing can be a daunting task, especially for beginners. There are many factors to consider, such as accuracy, range, durability, and ease of use. The wrong pH meter can lead to inaccurate readings, which can result in poor-quality wine or cider.
When selecting a pH meter for brewing, it’s essential to pay attention to the accuracy and range of the pH meter.
A meter with a range of 0-14 pH and an accuracy of 0.01 pH is ideal for cider or wine brewing.
Additionally, a durable and easy-to-use pH meter will save you time and money in the long run.
In this article, we have researched and tested several pH meters to identify the best options for cider or wine brewing.
We’ll provide you with a comprehensive guide to help you choose the best pH meter for your cider or wine brewing needs.
Best pH Meters for cider or wine Brewing
Accurately measuring pH levels is crucial when it comes to cider or wine brewing. A pH meter allows you to quickly and easily test the acidity of your brew, ensuring that it’s at the perfect level for fermentation.
With so many options available, it can be challenging to choose the right one. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best pH meters for cider or wine brewing, so you can confidently select the perfect tool for your brewing needs.
YINMIK PH Meter – Best All-Around Option
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable pH meter for your cider or wine brewing needs, the YINMIK PH Meter is a great choice. It’s easy to use, accurate, and versatile enough to be used in a variety of applications.
- The YINMIK PH Meter is a multiparameter instrument that can measure pH, EC, TDS, and temperature, making it a great all-in-one tool for brewing.
- The meter is easy to calibrate with automatic pH calibration and comes with two sets of pH meter calibration powders for your convenience.
- The large screen display with green backlight makes it easy to read the pH meter at odd angles and in low light, and the HOLD/TEMP key allows you to lock the reading for easy recording.
- In our experience, the TDS reading are often off by around 200 ppm, so you may need to double-check your readings with another meter.
- The instructions could be more detailed and larger for easier reading.
- The meter may not be as durable as more expensive models, so handle it with care.
The YINMIK PH Meter is a versatile and reliable tool that can help you achieve the perfect pH levels for your cider or wine brewing needs.
It will also measure TDS and EC which will guide you and the initial water quality if you are brewing beer.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced cider or wine brewer, this meter is a great investment that can save you time and money in the long run.
With its easy-to-use features and accurate readings, you can be sure that your cider or wine will turn out just right every time.
Yewhick Bluetooth Food pH Meter – Sturdy and Accurate
If you’re looking for a reliable and accurate pH meter for cider or wine brewing, the Yewhick pH meter is a great choice.
- The lab quality probe with 0.01 pH resolution and auto temperature compensation ensures reliable performance.
- Replaceable probe.
- Factory calibrated and automatic re-calibration
- The large backlight screen and data hold function make it easy to view and record readings, and the 10-minute auto off function extends battery life.
- The instructions may not be clear for those who are not experienced with this type of tool.
- Some users have reported difficulty with initial setup.
- The smartphone app, although not needed, is not straightforward to install.
The Yewhick pH meter comes with a solid slim portable toolkit box, helping you protect the meter’s probe and organize all the accessories. It also comes with KCl solution and 3 sets of pH 4.00, pH 6.86 buffers, saving cost and ensuring effortless storage and calibration.
The smaller spear probe means that you can take measurements directly on the apples or grapes that you are planning on using in your brewing!
All while being in the field without squeezing out a single drop of juice!
Just press the probe against the exposed fruit flesh and voila!
Overall, the Yewhick pH meter is a reliable and accurate pH meter that is well-suited for brewing.
While the initial setup and calibration may be a bit tricky for some users, the meter itself is easy to use and provides accurate readings.
If you’re looking for a pH meter that delivers consistent and reliable results, the Yewhick pH meter is definitely worth considering.
Vivosun pH Meter – Best Budget Option
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable pH meter for home brewing, the Vivosun pH Meter is definitely worth considering.
We’ve been using the Vivosun pH Meter for a few years now, and we’re impressed with its accuracy and ease of use. I’m on my third one as I handle them fairly hard, but they are dirt cheap, so…
The built-in temperature sensor ensures that the pH readings are precise, even when the sample solution is at a different temperature than the standard solution.
The pocket-sized design makes it easy to use and store, and the enclosed manual provides clear instructions on how to calibrate the meter for best results.
- Accurate and stable readings for the price
- Automatic temperature compensation for precise measurements
- Pocket-sized and easy to use
- Very budget friendly
- Best to do calibration before each use
- Can be slow to stabilize readings
- Feels somewhat flimsy
- Short battery life
One thing to keep in mind is that the meter needs to be calibrated before each use, which can be a bit time-consuming.
Also, it can take up to 30 seconds for the readings to stabilize, so you’ll need to be patient. Finally, the battery life is not very long, so you’ll need to replace the batteries frequently.
Overall, we think the Vivosun pH Meter is a great choice for home brewers who want an accurate and affordable pH meter. It’s easy to use, provides reliable readings, and comes with everything you need to get started.
Extech PH220-C pH Meter – For The Advanced Home Brewer
If you’re looking for a reliable pH meter for your cider or wine brewing needs, the Extech PH220-C pH Meter is definitely worth considering. With its cabled electrode and automatic buffer recognition, it’s a convenient and easy-to-use device that can provide accurate readings in no time.
- Large LCD displays pH or mV and temperature simultaneously for easy monitoring
- Detached electrode is more convenient to clean and when measuring bigger fermentations (e.g. barrels)
- Microprocessor provides for automatic buffer recognition, making calibration a breeze
- Memory stores up to 25 readings, allowing you to easily track changes over time
- In my experience the device can be a bit finicky when it comes to temperature compensation
- The included buffer solution may not be sufficient for all users’ needs
- At 9.5 ounces, it’s a bit heavier than some other pH meters included here
The Extech PH220-C pH Meter is a great choice for those who want a reliable and easy-to-use device for measuring pH levels in their cider or wine brewing process.
It’s accurate, convenient, and comes with a cabled electrode that makes it easy to take readings without worrying about the device falling into your brew. The large LCD display is also a nice touch, as it allows you to monitor pH and temperature simultaneously.
One potential downside of this device is that some users have reported that it can be a bit finicky when it comes to temperature compensation. However, this is a relatively minor issue that can be easily addressed with a bit of practice and patience.
Another potential downside is that the included buffer solution may not be sufficient for all users’ needs. However, this is a common issue with most pH meters, and it’s relatively easy to purchase additional buffer solution if needed.
Overall, if you’re looking for a reliable and easy-to-use pH meter for your cider or wine brewing needs, the Extech PH220-C pH Meter is definitely worth considering. It’s accurate, convenient, and comes with a number of useful features that make it a great choice for both novice and experienced brewers alike.
Bluelab CONTPRO Pro Controller – The professional option!
If you’re looking for a reliable, extremely accurate and easy-to-use pH meter for cider or wine brewing, the Bluelab CONTPRO Pro Controller is a great option.
- The Bluelab Pro Controller is a fully automated system that allows you to monitor, test, and adjust pH and nutrient levels in your brew in real-time.
- The pH sensor is easy to calibrate and the EC probe is factory calibrated, making it simple to get started.
- The Bluelab Connect software allows you to log data and control your system remotely, making it easy to make adjustments on the go.
- The Bluelab CONTPRO Pro Controller is a bit pricey compared to some other pH meters on the market.
- The pH probe only comes with a 6-month warranty, which may be a concern for some users.
- The system is designed for use in hydroponic systems and may not be suitable for all cider or wine brewing setups.
The Bluelab CONTPRO Pro Controller is a reliable and easy-to-use pH meter that is perfect for cider or wine brewing.
The fully automated system makes it easy to monitor and adjust pH and nutrient levels in real-time, while the Bluelab Connect software allows you to control your system remotely. While the price may be a bit high for some users, the ease of use and reliability of the system make it a great investment for serious cider or wine brewers.
The Bluelab CONTPRO Pro Controller is manufactured by Bluelab, a leading manufacturer of hydroponic testing equipment. With a 2-year limited warranty on the controller and a reputation for quality and reliability, you can trust that the Bluelab CONTPRO Pro Controller will meet your needs and exceed your expectations.
If you’re serious about cider or wine brewing and want a reliable and easy-to-use pH meter, the Bluelab CONTPRO Pro Controller is definitely worth considering. With its advanced features, ease of use, and reputation for quality, it’s the perfect tool for anyone who wants to take their cider or wine brewing to the next level.
Fristaden Lab Benchtop pH Meter – The Classic
Did you use a pH meter in high school? This is probably what you have used. It’s not a coincidence that this type of benchtop pH meters stod the test of time!
Get lab-quality pH readings for your cider or wine brewing with the Fristaden Lab Benchtop pH Meter. This device is built to lab standards, ensuring accuracy and repeatability, and is perfect for use in a variety of settings, from the classroom to the kitchen.
- Accurate to 0.01 pH for reliable readings
- Built to much higher standards than pen pH meters for greater accuracy and reliability
- Can be used to measure the quality of soil, salt water, food, wine, cider, beer, and juices
- Buffer solutions must be purchased separately
- Does not include a beaker
- May be too expensive for casual home use
The Fristaden Lab Benchtop pH Meter is a great investment for anyone serious about cider or wine brewing. With its lab-quality accuracy and reliability, you can trust that you’re getting accurate readings every time. Plus, its versatility means you can use it for a variety of other applications as well.
One of the biggest advantages of this pH meter is its accuracy. With readings to 0.01 pH, you can be confident that your cider or wine brewing is on track and that you’re getting reliable results. And because it’s built to lab standards, you can trust that it will provide consistent and repeatable results every time.
Another advantage of the Fristaden Lab Benchtop pH Meter is that it’s built to higher standards than pen pH meters. The more sensitive electrode and sturdier frame mean that you’ll only need to buy one pH meter, rather than replacing cheaper models that may break or wear out quickly.
And with the included electrode stand, you won’t have to hold the electrode while testing, making the process even easier.
Finally, the Fristaden Lab Benchtop pH Meter is versatile enough to be used in a variety of settings, from the classroom to the kitchen. Whether you’re measuring the quality of soil, salt water, food, wine, beer, or juices, this pH meter can handle it all. And with its 1-year warranty and American company backing, you can trust that you’re getting a quality product.
Choosing the best pH meter for cider or wine brewing can be a daunting task, especially if you are new to the process. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a pH meter:
Accuracy and Precision
The accuracy and precision of your pH meter are essential when dealing with cider or wine brewing. You need a pH meter that can provide accurate and precise readings to ensure the quality of your cider or wine. Look for a pH meter with a high level of accuracy and precision.
The range of a pH meter refers to the pH values it can measure. For cider or wine brewing, you need a pH meter that can measure a range of 2.5 to 4.6. Make sure to choose a pH meter that can measure within this range.
Calibration is an essential feature of any pH meter. It ensures that your pH meter is providing accurate readings. Choose a pH meter that is easy to calibrate and comes with calibration solutions. Some pH meters come with automatic calibration features, which are more convenient.
The display of your pH meter is crucial when you are taking readings. Look for a pH meter with a clear and easy-to-read display. Some pH meters come with backlit displays, which can be helpful when working in low-light conditions.
The price of a pH meter can vary greatly. Look for a pH meter that fits within your budget while still meeting your needs. Remember that a higher-priced pH meter does not always mean better quality.
|Accuracy and Precision||High|