Cider brewing is a popular hobby for many people, and it requires specific equipment to ensure the best results. One of the most crucial pieces of equipment for cider brewing is the fermenter.
A fermenter is a container used for the fermentation process, where yeast consumes the sugars in the cider and produces alcohol and carbon dioxide.
A good fermenter can make all the difference in the quality of your cider, so it’s essential to choose the right one.
When it comes to fermenters for cider brewing, there are several types to choose from, including plastic, glass, and stainless steel. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages, and the material you choose will depend on your personal preferences and brewing needs.
One critical factor to consider when choosing a fermenter is the size. The size of the fermenter you choose will depend on how much cider you plan to brew at once. A larger fermenter can handle more cider, but it may take up more space and be more challenging to clean. On the other hand, a smaller fermenter may be easier to handle and clean, but it can limit the amount of cider you can brew at once.
After researching and testing various fermenters for cider brewing, we have identified the best fermenter for cider brewing.
Although our personal top pick is the BrewDeamon Conical fermenter, people have different needs so make sure to check out the rest of the different fermenters listed.
Best Fermenters for Cider Brewing
If you’re looking to brew cider at home, you’ll need a good fermenter to get the job done. We’ve done the research and compiled a list of the best fermenters for cider brewing. These options are durable, easy to use, and will help you achieve the perfect fermentation for your delicious homemade cider.
1. BrewDemon Conical Fermenter – Best Overall
Hands down the best starter option here. Its conical bottom design allows for easy yeast harvesting, and its airtight seal prevents oxygen exposure, ensuring a clean and consistent fermentation process.
If you’re looking for a high-quality fermenter for cider brewing, you should definitely consider the BrewDemon Conical Fermenter. We used it for our recent cider brewing project and were pleasantly surprised by its performance.
- The conical design of the fermenter reduces the amount of trub in the finished cider, resulting in a cleaner and clearer taste.
- Made from BPA-free professional food-grade plastic, the fermenter imparts no unwanted flavors in your recipe.
- The package includes everything you need to get started, including a spigot, temperature gauge, CO2 vent plug, and FREE bubbler upgrade.
- The spigot may break after a few uses, so be careful when handling it.
- The fermenter is designed specifically for BrewDemon’s 2-gallon recipes, so it may not be suitable for larger batches.
- The price is a bit higher compared to other fermenters in the market.
In our experience, the BrewDemon Conical Fermenter is a great investment for anyone looking to brew cider at home. Its unique venting system allows CO2 to escape while keeping harmful contaminants out, which is a major plus. The adjustable flow spigot with a barbed spout is also a great feature, as it allows secure attachment to a hose and bottle filler.
Overall, we highly recommend the BrewDemon Conical Fermenter for anyone looking to take their cider brewing game to the next level. With its unmatched quality, durability, and superior value, it’s definitely worth the investment.
2. FastRack 1 gal Glass Carboy Fermenter – The Beginners Budget Choice.
If you’re looking for an affordable and convenient way to ferment small batches of beer or wine, the FastRack 1 gal Glass Wine Fermenter is a great option.
- The glass material is durable and easy to clean.
- The included rubber stopper and twin bubble airlock make the fermenting process simple and effective.
- The compact size is perfect for small batches and easy storage.
- The narrow neck can make it difficult to clean and sanitize the inside of the fermenter.
- Some users have reported that the rubber stopper may be too small or too large for their specific needs.
- The product does not include a lid, which may be inconvenient for some users.
We recently used the FastRack 1 gal Glass Wine Fermenter for a small batch of homemade cider, and we were impressed with the quality and convenience of the product. The glass material is thick and sturdy, and the included rubber stopper and twin bubble airlock made the fermenting process simple and effective. We appreciated the compact size of the fermenter, which made it easy to store in our small apartment.
One potential downside of the FastRack 1 gal Glass Wine Fermenter is the narrow neck, which can make it difficult to clean and sanitize the inside of the fermenter. Additionally, some users have reported that the rubber stopper may be too small or too large for their specific needs. Finally, it’s worth noting that the product does not include a lid, which may be inconvenient for some users.
Overall, we would recommend the FastRack 1 gal Glass Wine Fermenter to anyone looking for an affordable and convenient way to ferment small batches of beer or wine. The glass material is durable and easy to clean, and the included rubber stopper and twin bubble airlock make the fermenting process simple and effective.
3. Craft A Brew – Flat Bottom Jars 4-pack – Good for Experimentation
If you’re looking for an affordable and versatile fermenter for cider brewing, then the Craft A Brew fermentation kit is a great option to consider.
- The kit comes with four 1-gallon glass fermenter jars, lids, and airlocks, allowing you to brew multiple batches at once.
- The jars are perfect for brewing beer, wine, cider, mead, and more using your own recipes or Craft A Brew’s pre-built 1-gallon recipe kits.
- All the equipment is reusable, making it an environmentally sustainable choice.
- The lids may not seal tight enough for a proper airlock without purchasing gaskets for standard 110 mm jar lids.
- The hole and rubber gasket for the airlocks aren’t made real well and need to be installed carefully.
- The airlocks are rather thin and may break easily.
We recently used this fermenter kit to brew our own cider and were pleased with the results. The glass jars are sturdy and safe to pour boiling liquids into if needed. The airlocks worked fine, although we prefer to use the style that’s shaped like a sideways “s.”
One thing to note is that the lids have a very small hole made for the grommets it brings, and the grommets are not the best quality. They break easily under the pressure of the airlock being inserted. However, we were able to get replacements from the company’s customer support right away.
Overall, if you’re looking for an affordable and versatile fermenter kit for cider brewing, the Craft A Brew fermentation kit is a great option to consider.
4. FastFerment Conical Fermenter – Best Conical Option.
If you’re looking for an efficient and easy-to-use fermenter for your cider brewing, the FastFerment Conical Fermenter is a great option. We’ve had great results with this product and recommend it to anyone looking for a high-quality fermenter.
- The conical design eliminates sediment and exposure to oxygen, resulting in a consistent high-quality batch of cider.
- The removable screw top lid makes it easy to brew and clean.
- The flat-bottomed collection ball allows for yeast harvesting, saving you money and allowing you to experiment with different yeast strains.
- The wall mounting system requires standard 16″ wall studs, which may not be available in every home.
- The included thermometer is not always accurate and may require calibration.
- The product is relatively expensive compared to other fermenters on the market.
We’ve found the FastFerment Conical Fermenter to be an easy and efficient way to brew cider. With its one-stage system, you can eliminate the need for racking and transferring between buckets and carboys, saving you time and effort. The conical design also makes it easy to harvest yeast and eliminate sediment, resulting in a consistent and high-quality batch of cider.
One of the standout features of the FastFerment Conical Fermenter is its flat-bottomed collection ball, which allows for yeast harvesting. This is a great way to save money on yeast strains and experiment with different flavors and aromas. Additionally, the removable screw top lid makes it easy to clean and brew, and the temperature monitoring capabilities allow you to keep track of your cider’s progress.
While the wall mounting system may not be suitable for all homes, we’ve found it to be a convenient way to keep our fermenter out of the way and easily accessible. However, the included thermometer is not always accurate and may require calibration, so it’s important to keep an eye on your cider’s temperature.
Overall, we highly recommend the FastFerment Conical Fermenter for anyone looking for an efficient and high-quality fermenter for their cider brewing. With its easy-to-use design and convenient features, this product is a great investment for any cider enthusiast.
5. Speidel 30L-7.9G Fermenter – For Robust Brewing
If you’re looking for a reliable fermenter for cider brewing, the Speidel 30L-7.9G Fermenter is a great option.
- The built-in spigot and airlock make it easy to use and control the fermentation process.
- The heavy-duty HDPE construction ensures durability and prevents oxygen transfer, which is crucial for cider brewing.
- The built-in handles make it easy to move the tank, even when it’s full.
- The spigot may need some improvement, as it may leak and require extra force to tighten.
- The large size of the fermenter may make it difficult to store in small spaces.
- The lid can be a bit tricky to seal completely, which may affect the fermentation process.
In our experience, the Speidel 30L-7.9G Fermenter is a solid choice for cider brewing. The spigot and airlock are convenient features that make it easy to control the fermentation process. The heavy-duty construction ensures that the cider is not exposed to oxygen during fermentation, which can affect the final product.
However, we did notice that the spigot may leak and require some extra force to tighten properly. Additionally, the large size of the fermenter may make it difficult to store in small spaces. Finally, we found that the lid can be a bit tricky to seal completely, which may affect the fermentation process.
Overall, if you’re looking for a reliable and durable fermenter for cider brewing, the Speidel 30L-7.9G Fermenter is definitely worth considering.
6. Chicago Brew Werks 6.5 Gallon Bucket – Most Practical Option
If you’re looking for an affordable and durable bottling bucket for cider brewing, the Chicago Brew Werks 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Lid and Spigot is a great option.
- Comes with a lid and spigot already assembled
- Made of durable plastic that doesn’t break easily
- Italian spigot included for easy bottling
- Some users have reported issues with the spigot being hard to start
- The conversion charts on the bucket may not be useful for everyone
- The bucket may arrive with black oil on it, but can be easily washed off
We recently used this bottling bucket for our cider brewing and found it to be a great value for the price. The lid and spigot were already assembled, which saved us time and hassle during the brewing process. The plastic was thick and durable, and we didn’t have any issues with it breaking or cracking.
The Italian spigot included with the bucket made bottling our cider a breeze. It was easy to use and didn’t leak at all. However, some users have reported issues with the spigot being hard to start, so it may take a bit of practice to get the hang of it.
The conversion charts on the bucket weren’t particularly useful for us, but they may be helpful for beginners who are still learning the ins and outs of cider brewing. We also noticed that the bucket arrived with some black oil on it, but it was easy to wash off with soap and water.
Overall, we would definitely recommend the Chicago Brew Werks 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Lid and Spigot for anyone looking for an affordable and durable option for their cider brewing needs.
7. Stainless Steel Conical Fermenter – For The Pro
If you’re looking for a semi-professional option for long-term use, we recommend the Stainless Steel Conical Fermenter. This fermenter is made of high-quality SUS304 Stainless steel material, ensuring that you won’t have to worry about plastic chemical leaks.
- Easy and Convenient for home beer and wine and milk,The first and second steps fermentation.
- Stainless steel cover with seal ring and Airlock
- 1mm thickness liquid tank of full 35 liters capacity (Usaged liquid volume is 30 liters .)
- The thermometer is in Celsius, which can be annoying for some users.
- The feet are not level, which can cause stability issues.
- The welds are weak, and it drips from the factory fittings.
We found the Stainless Steel Conical Fermenter to be a great option for anyone looking for a high-quality fermenter. The fermenter is easy and convenient to use for home beer and wine, and it can be used for the first and second steps fermentation. The stainless steel cover with seal ring and airlock helps to prevent contamination and ensure that your brew is safe.
One of the standout features of this fermenter is the 1mm thickness liquid tank of full 35 liters capacity. This means that you’ll have plenty of space to brew your cider, and you won’t have to worry about running out of room. The removable thermometer is also a nice touch, as it allows you to monitor the temperature of your brew easily.
However, we did notice a few issues with the fermenter. The feet are not level, which can cause stability issues, and the welds are weak, which can lead to leaks. Additionally, the thermometer is in Celsius, which can be annoying for some users.
Overall, we believe that the Stainless Steel Conical Fermenter is a great option for anyone looking for a high-quality fermenter. The stainless steel construction ensures that you won’t have to worry about plastic chemical leaks, and the 1mm thickness liquid tank provides plenty of space for your brew. While there are a few minor issues with the fermenter, we believe that they can be easily overlooked given the overall quality of the product.
When looking for the best fermenter for cider brewing, there are several factors to consider. We recommend taking a closer look at the following features:
The material of the fermenter plays a crucial role in the quality of the cider. Stainless steel and glass are popular options as they are non-reactive and do not affect the taste of the cider. Plastic fermenters are also available, but they may not be as durable and can scratch easily.
The size of the fermenter depends on the quantity of cider you plan to brew. It is important to choose a fermenter that is large enough to accommodate the cider and leave enough space for the foam to rise during fermentation. A 5-7 gallon fermenter is a good starting point for home brewers.
An airlock is a crucial component of the fermenter as it allows carbon dioxide to escape while preventing oxygen from entering. Look for a fermenter with a tight-fitting airlock to ensure a successful fermentation process.
A spigot can make transferring the cider to a secondary fermenter or bottling bucket much easier. Look for a fermenter with a spigot that is easy to use and does not leak.
Temperature control is important for a successful fermentation process. Look for a fermenter that allows for temperature control, whether it be through a built-in temperature gauge or by using an external temperature controller.
Easy to Clean
Cleaning the fermenter is an important step in the brewing process. Look for a fermenter that is easy to clean and sanitize, with smooth surfaces and removable parts.
By considering these features, you can choose the best fermenter for your cider brewing needs.